If you need to leave your home, be ready to go as quickly as possible. Having a Go Bag in an accessible place ensures that you and your family are prepared for whatever situation arises.A Go Bag, “Bug-Out” Bag, “Get Out Of Dodge” Bag or whatever other names there are for them is simply a portable survival aid in the event sheltering in place is not an option. There is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ when it comes to these bags.
This list is NOT intended as an exhaustive one. It is intended to provide a reference point for people to consider in preparing for emergencies. Three days is the intended duration that a Go Bag is supposed to provide supplies during a disaster or survival situation.
Remember, the more you add to a bag, the more weight you will have to carry.
- Each member of your household should have their own Go Bag.
- Go Bags should be easy to carry and sturdy.
- Go Bags should be stored in an easily accessible location.
- Ideally, you should keep a Go Bag at your home, in your car, and at work.
- Go Bags should be prepared for any time of year.
- Go Bags should be updated every six months.
General Supply List
- Bottled water
- Non-perishable food
- Manual can opener
- Battery-operated AM/FM Radio
- Extra batteries (necessary types)
- Extra house and car keys
- Rain gear/Poncho
- Comfortable, sturdy shoes
- Warm clothes
- Prescription medication for a week, with copies of your prescriptions
- List of doctor(s) and phone numbers
- Small first-aid kit
- Extra pair of glasses or contact lenses
- Extra hearing aid(s) and batteries
- Toilet paper
- Plastic garbage bags (30 Gal type)
- Duct Tape
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Feminine hygiene products
- Copy of your communications plan
- Regional map (town, county, state)
- Paper, pens, and tape – in case you need to leave a message somewhere
- Dust mask
- Cash – preferably in small amounts
- Coins for pay phones
- Credit and debit cards
- Copies of important documents in a waterproof container (IDs, insurance information, proof of address, passports, etc.)
- Recent family photo for identification purposes – make sure everyone’s face can be seen clearly
- Items for members of your family, especially children, seniors or people with functional needs, and pets.